Picking Red Clapp Pears

I have two pear trees, D'Anjou and Red Clapp. I have picked the D'Anjou because they snapped off as you described. The Red Clapp does not "snap off" like the D'Anjou. Should I cut them off or wait until they "snap off". Also, how long should the Red Clapp be in the cooler.

Missoula County Montana

"A general rule of thumb is that, while still on the tree, most mature, ready to ripen pears will usually detach when "tilted" to a horizontal position from their usual vertical hanging position." This is from OSU's When to pick and how to ripen pears to perfection.

I would wait for the Rec Clapp pears to mature int he same way - on the tree. Once they are harvested, they may require 2-6 weeks of chilling for best results. Once they have been chilled, they will usually ripen about one week from removal form chilling.

Here is a link to the article form OSU with most of the information you are looking for:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/node/413

Toby