Hello, I am looking for help figuring out what is killing my maple trees. We...

Hello, I am looking for help figuring out what is killing my maple trees. We have many dead ash trees on the property and a large number of mature, I think sugar maples. The giant ones are doing ok. The smaller ones have been dying over the past year. They start by not producing leaves on the top and then individual branches or sides will also not have leaves. I do not see any holes in them, but I am unsure if due to pests for a leaf vs root fungus. I have included a picture and would appreciate any help possible.

Clark County Ohio maple trees

The ash you refer to are dying from emerald ash borer most likely. There are several things going on with these leaves but none of them would lead to the death of the tree. This time of year it is hard to diagnose something with leaves since we are going into fall. If you have a woodland you could contact your service forester and have them take a look at the trees in the woods to see if there is something going on. Your service forester for Clark Co. is -

Casey Burdick email: casey.burdick@dnr.state.oh.us

Phone (614) 212-3286 Office Day: Tuesday

8570 East State Route 73
Waynesville, OH 45068

If we are talking about a wooded yard then you may want to take some samples and submit them to our plant diagnostic clinic for analysis. http://ppdc.osu.edu there is a tab about submitting samples. However, I would perhaps wait until spring so that we are going into the growing season instead of heading out of the season.