When does the tomato season end

Hello, now that it is September, my tomato plants are slowly dying at the bottom but is green on top. I still have a good number of green tomatoes. When should I pull out the plant now that it's starting to get colder. Is it by Oct. Or should I just leave it to let the green tomatoes ripen. Or should I pull off the green tomatoes and let them ripen on my counter?

Montgomery County Maryland fruits and vegetables

It's really up to you to decide if you want to pull the tomato plants out now or wait a bit longer to see if more tomatoes will ripen. The season definitely ends when the first frost arrives, but as the day length decreases and the temperatures get cooler, the ripening process slows down considerably. Any tomatoes that are starting to show color can be picked and brought inside to finish ripening (unrefrigerated). Some people will pull the last green tomatoes and use them in different recipes such as fried green tomatoes, tomato relish, etc. You can search online for recipes to make with the last green tomatoes.

ckc