Black scat and yowling

In SE Connecticut, on a farm. Went out late with the dog last night and heard what sounded like a pack of coyotes yowling. Have seen a fox stalking the chickens in the last couple weeks. Found this scat but it looks too compact for foxes, not like coyote. Rain soaked deer poop? What do you think?

Connecticut wildlife damage management wildlife scat id animal identification

I'm in Utah, so I don't have the best sense of what animals are in Connecticut.
However, my first thought was that deer eating a diet rich in foods easy to digest, like grasses, clover, alfalfa, apples, and other forbs, have pellets that look like this. The diet makes the droppings look different from the normal pellets.

I'll forward your request to a person in Connecticut.

Robert was correct that these look like deer droppings. When the pellets are clumped in this manner, it typically means that deer are eating grasses and forbs. The distinct, individual pellets we see otherwise are usually a product of a diet based mostly on browse and woody materials.