Winter Protection

I planted a Dwarf Globe Blue Spruce on a Standard this past spring. Clay soil, plenty of south facing sun but also plenty of wind. I've been watering regularly and will do so until ground freeze. Tree is rated Zone 3. Question: Do I need to protect the tree this winter -- trunk warp, burlap cover over the top, etc.? I'd hate to lose the tree to burn or freeze/ thaw... Thanks for your help.

Hennepin County Minnesota blue spruce winter protection horticulture

I believe I would protect the trunk with the large plastic tubes or hardware cloth with burlap on the outside of it to eliminate the rabbit/vole possible girdling and sunscald of the trunk. Also, as it is newly planted, you may wish to put a loose burlap wrap around the branches, leaving the top open. The watering until the ground freezes is absolutely the right thing to do. These grafted trees are expensive so better safe than sorry.