Cross pollination of a MonArk and Granny Smith apple tree,

Is it possible that cross pollination of these apples, can produce a Hybrid apple, Looking at your site it seems it is not possible, but my Granny Smiths, are no longer Granny Smiths, they have changed into a smaller and sweeter Monarch apples, They are very crisp and juicy but acidic like the monarch, they are red when ripe I once heard that Brambleys cooking apples were a new breed that came from an unknown source, at first I thought the supplier had supplied the wrong variaty,

Outside United States apples fruit trees apple trees cross pollination hybrids horticulture

If you are asking does the pollen source change the fruit of the apple the answer is no. When apples are cross pollinated the fruit is produced by the mother plant so Granny Smith trees will always produce Granny Smith apples. The seeds if plants would be new varieties of apples. The most likely explanation is that you did indeed receive the wrong trees from the nursery.

l suppose, the granny smiths could of already

been hybridised, before I got them, or another

variety altogether, what ever they are,

they are like a smaller sweeter monarch,

l like an acidic apple and these are the best I have ever tasted. Thanks for your advice.

I think we are talking past each other. If you purchased a 'Granny Smith' apple tree and it is not bearing Granny Smith apples there was probably a mistake at the nursery and they sent you an apple which was not Granny Smith but some other variety. Named varieties such as Granny Smith are propagated from cuttings grafted to an apple rootstock to get a tree of that variety. An seeds from a cross pollinated apple would be hybrids from two different apple parents and distinct from the parent.

I am not an apple expert. the apple trees I got
from a super market chain, as you say, were
probably the wrong variaty, and may not be even related to a monarch, but an apple I have never come across before, it seemed such a coincidence, at the time. thanks any way
Regards Bryan,