Eggs with no nest

I have a small porch no roof, just a railing. Last week we found one bare translucent white egg (about the size of a robin's egg maybe a tiny bit bigger) lying on the railing. My husband picked it up wondering what it was. The next day we came out and it was on the ground crushed. Today I found another egg on the railing in the exact same spot. I have not touched it. Finding it so mystifying.

Wayne County New York eggs

Nature has no end to its amazements! There are some birds that lay eggs in gutters or less traditional nest arrangements and some birds that rob another's nest or push another bird's eggs out of its nest. I encourage you to get in touch with the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to learn more about what you observed. They have a website that answers many questions and a form that can be submitted to ask more unusual questions. Here is the link: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/browse/topic/faqs/#_ga=2.19305208.1738509610.1504624931-463123363.1442932943

Let us know if we can be of further help.