Tomato plants in trouble

My tomato plants were fine up until a few weeks ago. Now almost all of them have these spots on them and the leave are dying. Can you help me figure out why? Is it the rain, a fungis, a virus, the grass clippings we put on the garden, was it because I put them in the same spot as last year, the plants them selfs? I am not having any other problems with my green peppers, banana peppers, carrots, cucumber, squash. Not sure if this was happening else where in central mn. I have just seen wilted/dying looking tomato plants in the neighbors garden, but I have not spoken to them about it. Is this something that will spread and if so do I need to pull all plants So it doesn't spread to the rest of the garden? Thank you for your help Julie

Benton County Minnesota

I think it likely your plants have late blight. This is a devastating fungal disease that, within a week or two, kills the plants and renders the fruit unusable. While late blight is not common in Minnesota, it does pop up when conditions are right (cool, wet summer weather). The disease organism is the same one that caused the Irish potato famine of the 19th century.

I'm sorry, but your tomato crop is lost this year. Clean out everything and trash it (do not compost). Next year, do not plant tomatoes (or potatoes) in the same location. In fact, I'd not plant solanaceous crops there for the next three years. Read here:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/fruit-vegetable/plant-diseases/late-blight-tomato/