Personal farm use

Asked September 4, 2017, 7:54 AM EDT

I own 10 acres, I use 4 acres to grow and consume my own vegetables. I also have a half acre pond that I grow and eat fish from. Can I be considered a farm for tax exemption in Ohio

Huron County Ohio

1 Response

There is a factsheet addressing the Ohio Sales and Use Tax Exemptions that can be located at

The State of Ohio does not issue a sales tax exemption number.To claim exemption, you must provide a properly completed exemption certificate to your supplier. The above fact sheet as well as the links below should help determine whether your purchases could be tax exempt or not.

Exemption Certificates
The following forms have been provided by the Ohio Department of Taxation for use by Ohio consumers when making exempt purchases.

Unit Exemption Certificate. This exemption certificate is used to claim exemption or exception on a single purchase.

Blanket Exemption Certificate. This certificate is used to make a continuing claim of exemption or exception on purchases from the same vendor or seller.

More information about the Ohio Sales Tax Exemption for Agricultural Producers can be found on the Ohio Department of Taxation web site located at: . The form can be found at that site under the forms link titled STEC-B and STEC-U

Feel free to contact me at if you have further questions