worms on my roses

I have grown roses for about 40 years and never have I had such a miserable year as this year. About mid summer I noticed a little green worm curled up on my roses. I would only see about 1-2 at a time but they eat all the leaves. I sprayed with Othro 3 in 1 but the problem continued. I have never had worms on my roses. The worms are green and about an 1' long. Is there some thing new in our area this year? I have 2 pictures of the roses but not the worms. I can email them to an address but don't know how to attach them to this page.

Baltimore County Maryland rose slug sawfly larvae shrub flower

What you are dealing with are commonly called 'rose slugs'. They are not really new, nor are they slugs, but instead the larvae of a sawfly. There are three kinds active in our area during the growing season.
They can be hard to detect since they blend in so well, especially if you've not had them before. Be sure to check under the leaves as well.
Here is our page about them and their management: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/rose-slugs-shrubs