Name this Plant

I moved to Cockeysville Md. 40 years ago on to 4 wooded acres, and found this plant growing wild. I have since " tamed " it to be a low ground-cover on a small ( 50' X 100') patch of lawn I cut out of the forest for my kids to play on. Grass does not grow well here....but this plant began " invading " my lawn....and with regular mowing it actually does quite well...and has taken over much of the " lawn " from my grass. In wilder patches on my property it gets about one to two feet tall. I am including two pictures....one picture of the plant in the wild and in full " flower " with the Red-Purple small bead-like flowers on a long thin stem...and the other picture of it as a low ground-cover on my lawn. What is the name of the plant ....and how does it reproduce.

Baltimore County Maryland plant identification weed identification native pennsylvania smartweed smartweed

This is Pennsylvania smartweed, a native plant. It is highly beneficial to wildlife. It's many uses are given in this fact sheet: https://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_pope2.pdf The pink flowers produce seeds that spread the plant.