Is pachysandra vigorous or borderline in our zone?

At our lake cabin in western Minnesota (near Willmar), we have several areas of dense shade under trees where we cannot grow grass. We would like to try pachysandra ( either terminalis or "green carpet") as a shade tolerant ground cover in these areas. I think I've seen pachysandra looking good at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. But some local landscapers have been discouraging, saying that pachysandra is borderline and struggles in our zone. The specific locations in our yard are somewhat protected, near to and on the south side of the house. Should we give pachysandra a try? Do you have a recommendation as to choosing between terminalis and "green carpet"? We understand that "green carpet" is a little shorter, which might work well for us, because the areas to be planted are in front of beds of hosta francee. Also, would it be O.K. to use "bare root" stock shipped from a national nursery supplier, or is that not a good idea?

Kandiyohi County Minnesota pachysandra horticulture

Pachysandra is hardy in Zone 4a (Wilmar's zone). If you have a protected area, I would go ahead and try it (you can start with a few plants - and it's not too late to plant this year).

I don't have a recommendation between the two varieties. There is also the Green Sheen that you might be interested in.

And you should be ok using bare root stock.