Manganese & iron in well water 19529 zip code

How can I remove manganese (especially this) and iron stains from my new toilet and my pottery/ironware dishes? I don't want to damage their surfaces. My well water has quite high amounts of these.
I live far north in Berks county; Lehigh county is just down the hill from Stony Run.
Thank you,. Darlene

Berks County Pennsylvania

Hello Darlene,

Thank you for your question. Iron and Manganese are a frequently occurring water quality issue in Pennsylvania. I understand you are looking for advice on removing stains that already exist. These are very difficult stains to remove. Detergents are generally not effective and common cleaners like chlorine and baking soda will both intensify the stains in many cases. The most effective option you have is to look into ways to remove the manganese and iron from your water supply. Here is a fact sheet from our website to guide you in that potential consideration: http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/water/drinking-water/water-testing/pollutants/iron-and-ma...

There are some sites out there with recommendations for cleaning that may work. We have not tested any of them, but you might give them a try. I would encourage you to try them out on a surface that you will be least upset about damaging just in case. The one that is most common is making a paste out of scouring powder (like comet or barkeepers friend type products), cream of tartar, and hydrogen peroxide. Rub it on and let it stand for 30-60 minutes and then clean it off. Like I said, we have not tested this out and can't guarantee it will work or not damage your surfaces.

Best of luck to you. If you have any additional questions about water treatment options, please let us know.