I'm seeking a bee expert

Hi there, I live in Salem and have an organic flower garden and noticed this summer that I have dozens of different types of bees on all my flowers all the time. I don't know if this is of interest. I don't know anything about bees but I can tell that lots of different sizes, different stripings, two-stripe & three-stripe bumble bees, honey bees, very teensy bees, mason bees. I've been taking photos and videos. I've counted at least a dozen varieties this weekend. The bumble bees go to sleep on my flowers at night. Would anyone at OSU be interested in this?

Marion County Oregon

Hi there,

It sounds like you have created quite the pollinator oasis in your landscape! We do have pollinator specialists at the OSU campus. Andony Melathopoulos is newly hired pollinator health faculty member with an Extension appointment.

OSU Extension doesn't typically offer house visits unless it is already tied to a research project. However, you can view this great guide that the Department of Agriculture came out with that is fantastic if you are trying to identify different common bees. If you have more specific questions after looking at that guide, then you can get in touch with Andony.

Cheers,

Thank you for the information! I will use the guide to start identifying bees, what flowers they are attracted to and when I see them and then submit my information to Anthony and maybe it will be of interest next year or in later years as we deal with ongoing colony collapse. Save the bees!

Have a great day!

Pamela