Shade Tree Selection For Horse Pastures

Hello, I am looking to plant two shade trees in my horse pastures. They need to be safe for horses, not attract to much chewing attention and eventually will grow into shade for the horses. I will be planting one on each side of a 3 board fence line so each pasture will have a tree. The pasture is on a slight incline, in very direct sunlight, in Union Bridge MD Additionally if there are any resources in which to buy older trees. I'm hoping to get something at least a few years old so that we will have a jump on getting some shade. Thanks for your help! Lola

Carroll County Maryland pastures and grazing pastures and forages pasture management

The most common shade tree that is poisonous to horses is Red Maple Acer Rubrum, not to be confused with Scarlet Maple. Red Maple has green leaves. I would recommend calling the Carroll County Extension Office to locate folks that can provide larger trees in your area. Ask for Bryan Butler or Peter Coffey. 410-386-2760