Is a bat box necessary?

I am a 72-year-old widow. I am "scared to death" of bats. They are living in the basement of my house. One came into the living room on two separate occasions and flew all over my living quarters. It was caught by men experienced and released into the wild only to return. I cannot get a good night's sleep for wondering if one will find its way in again. I have business files stored in my basement and am afraid to go there to access them. I have done lots of reading and realize that 1 out of 100 carry rabies. If you can give me any advice I would really appreciate it. I have been in touch with animal control and the public health department. They have helped, but the problem is not solved. I live in Wilkes County in the foothills of North Carolina. My email address isbarbaraowings@icloud.com.

Wilkes County North Carolina bats wildlife management bats in the house

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.