Large globs of sap?

I guessing these are balls of sap but not sure why this happened this summer. What cuases this and what should I do about it. I believe it is a choke cherry tree.

Anoka County Minnesota sap on trunk horticulture

Are there any other parts of the tree that have this going on or is it just two spots? Is the tree showing any signs of stress, yellowing leaves, dead branches, etc. Have you seen any woodpeckers pecking at your tree anywhere? Did you try scraping off the sap to see what the trunk looks like underneath? That would be helpful.

Here are some more pictures of the tree. There is some more spots but they are all on the same part of the tree. No dead Branches but not really a show of stress. There are downy woodpeckers in the are but haven't seen them on this tree.

If you look at the base of that trunk, you can see it is black and diseased. I cannot isolate the bacterial disease your tree has but that trunk is thoroughly infected. The smartest thing to do would be to cut that trunk down to the ground and dispose of the infected wood before it has a chance to move onto the other trunks. Make sure to sterilize your equipment after cutting this trunk up by dipping in a solution of one part bleach to ten parts water. Bacterium will spread on equipment. If you want a second opinion you can reach a certified arborist by visiting this web site and clicking on Find An Arborist. http://www.treesaregood.org/