Killing weeds

Wild violets are plentiful in my lawn even though I have a company that has sprayed​ for weeds a few times a couple of months ago. I also have weeds that look like clover but with tiny yellow flowers. What needs to be used to kill these weeds?

Baltimore County Maryland weeds lawn weeds weed identification oxalis wild violets clover-like weed with yellow flowers

The clover-type weed is oxalis. Look at life cycle and control options for both oxalis and wild violet in our weed gallery: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/lawns/lawn-weed-identification They are both "broad-leaved perennial" weeds.

In the wild violet info, follow the Link to the "Broad-leaved Weed Control in Established Lawns" publication for specific chemical recommendations. Fall is a great time (and sometimes the only effective time) to kill hard-to-manage weed. Apply twice, a few weeks apart, starting in late August to September.

Fall is the best time to seed a lawn. Thickening turf prevents many weed problems from ever occurring. Turf shade makes weed seed germination impossible or weed seedlings are out-competed.

Fall is also the best time to fertilize a lawn.