Unknown Red mushroom (s)

Asked August 15, 2017, 1:32 PM EDT

One or more of these tall, tubular mushrooms pop up near a hosta in A.M. hours daily. What is it? Is it poisonous and how do I get rid of it? Pinkish orange at bottom, tubular, 5 to 8" tall, with a very narrow conical reddish-brownish head. Head turns blackish as it dries. Usually nothing left of it by late afternoon. I'm sending along a picture of it near a young hosta. I live in Salisbury. Noticed it a month or so ago, it disappears by late afternoon.

Wicomico County Maryland

1 Response

With all this rain, lots of mushrooms are popping up. This one is the dog stinkhorn. Like most mushrooms, it breaks down organic matter and it a natural part of that ecological process. Now that mulch is popular (organic matter which is breaking down), folks often see these fungi. They are not harmful and are very short-lived. Here is more fascinating info: https://www.bbg.org/news/nastiest_mushroom_ever

ECN