Terrible weed

I spent the first 10 years of living here fighting thistles. Now most of them are gone but has been replaced with this awful vine with prickles. I guess I would like to know how to get rid of it.

Howard County Maryland invasive mile a minute weed

This is an invasive species aptly named Mile-a-Minute, for it's incredible growth, quickly climbing and swallowing other plants. Another common name is Devil's Tear Thumb, referring to those nasty thorns.
There are multiple ways to control it. If you only have a moderate amount, pulling, especially before they set seed, is recommended. They have very few roots so they come up easily. Of course you need to be wearing protective clothes and gloves.
It's important to try and get them out before the seed sets, which birds devour and spread around.
Here is our page on this plant, which includes more information, and links to other publications which cover additional means of control:
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/mile-minute-vine