Marinara Sauce Recipe, OK for Pressure Canning?

Hi -- I've got a recipe that I ove. I've added it here so you can let me know if it meets criteria for pressure canning. It's delicious and I'm hoping it gets the official okay. Simple Tomato Sauce • 1/4 cup virgin olive oil • 1 small onion, chopped • 2 cloves garlic, chopped • 1 stalk celery, chopped • 1 carrot, chopped • 2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes • 4 to 6 basil leaves • 2 dried bay leaves • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, optional In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add celery and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, and bay leaves and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and taste for seasoning. If sauce tastes too acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, to round out the flavor.

Washington County Oregon

Hello and thank you for submitting your question to Ask an Expert, a FREE service of OSU Extension.

In our Canning Vegetables publication there is a "mixed vegetable" recipe on page 15. It is an optional mix of a variety of vegetables of your choosing. Because your recipe calls for tomato, garlic, onion, celery and carrot you can process your sauce according to that recipe. Please see the recipe on p. 15: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/sites/default/files/documents/pnw_172_canningvegetables.pdf

That recipe calls for pressure canning at 11 lbs pressure (dial gauge) for 75 mins for pint jars or 90 minutes for quart size jars. Be sure to have your dial gauge checked every year before canning to make sure the gauge is accurate.

Happy canning!