Fast and low growing ground-cover grass alternative

Need for a part-sun area between and around hardscape, mostly around, as a grass alternative. Want it to flower at least some of the time, preferably twice a year, for a south-west Denver location. If possible, would like to grow from seed planted in the fall. If not, what should I plant in the spring, and would it be from seed? If not, what do you recommend?. Want fast coverage, and good foliage. Was considering Turkish Veronica, but think that grows really slowly, and don't know if it grows here. Previous home owner planted sod and then didn't water. So we have a totally dead yard. Not a lot of space, however.

Denver County Colorado ground cover

Veronica would make a great ground cover. I particularly like Wooly Creeping Veronica (V. pectinata) because it is evergreen but Turkish Veronica is good, too. Another of my favorite ground covers for part-shade is Barren Strawberry (Waldsteinia ternata) which fills in quickly and has a showy yellow flower in spring. It would be better to start both of these from plants rather than seed, and if you can find them still available at the nurseries, you can plant them now so long as you get it done in the next month or so.

You'll find other suggestions in this CSU Extension fact sheet: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/ground-cover-plants-7-400/