Growing Lemon Tree inside

Hello, I recently purchased a 4 foot lemon tree that was living in a pot outside. I only have a north facing window and am worried that I will not be able to give it enough natural light. do you have recommendations on a grow light that would work best for this plant? I would like one that have very little electricity use. Thank you!

Hennepin County Minnesota

You are right that you will need supplemental lighting and even then it might be difficult unless you are not concerned about your decor. There is a big difference between growing seeds for a month or so under lights and keeping a big sun-loving plant healthy all winter.

There are LED lights that have gotten very good reviews and are energy efficient. Fluorescent are also efficient, especially the newer types of bulbs. Incandescent lights are a poor choice as they give off a lot of heat, don't have all of the light waves plants need, and are expensive to run. HID lights are efficient but expensive. See http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G6515 for information on the types of lights.

You will want a style that will provide light to the whole plant, so the traditional shop-light set-up or any other top light will not work alone. You may need a combination of lights from the top and side and rotate the plant to allow all parts to get light. Most of the cute clip-on grow lights are way too weak to make a difference.

When you move the plant indoors it will drop leaves. That is normal as it adjusts to the lower light level. If you are able to supply sufficient light, new leave will grow. Without lots of light this will be a challenge.

Good luck with the plant.