Water Testing

Asked August 10, 2017, 10:40 PM EDT

Hi, I have a well at North Pole, AK. I have studied the map of the areas affected by the Flint Hills sulfolane spill in 2009, and it doesn't appear that my property is within that area. The thing is...I have a lot of iron in my water. I was wondering if you could tell me the best way to get the iron out, besides the salt pellet system (which I have). Could I bring a sample of my water to the extension office to have it tested? Thanks, Karen Krejci

Fairbanks North Star Borough Alaska

1 Response

Hi Karen,

We don't test water at the Extension offices. We have contributed to two publications though that that may help you: https://dec.alaska.gov/eh/docs/dw/results.pdf and possibly https://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publications-db/catalog/anr/GWQ-00552.pdf. There are two independent labs in town [Pollen Environmental at 3536 International St, Fairbanks, AK 99701 (907) 479-8368 & Analytica at 475 Hall St Fairbanks, AK 99701 (907) 456-3125] where you can get bottles to collect your own samples and then drop off to have sent to a analysis done; there is a cost associated. I believe you can also take a sample to one of the dealers in town which sells water systems and have them test the iron content for free- yet it is not an independent lab/analysis and may be biased to sell you equipment. Call and ask what type of specific systems they handle.

Aside from a water softener, most commonly the removal method used is to filtering Iron out through a medium tank or composite filter. Maintenance is required with changing filter material periodically. There are a couple other methods used in industrial applications yet the common filter or medium tank will are typical residential scale solutions. If you have any other questions feel free to call me at UAF (907-474-6366). Did that answer your question?