Starting a cheese making buiness

Hello, My name is Kyle Robeson and am a fellow OSU Graduate. My wife and I have an amazing opportunity to start a cheese making business that already has a creamery and cows to supply milk. The creamery is set up and licensed to run as a cheese producing facility but the only downfall is all the cheese equipment was sold when the creamery was. We worked on an organic farm that produced cheese in France for a month and got a lot of hands on skills. We are now looking to use that knowledge to start our own business here in Oregon. In doing our research to start this company our major question is what kind of machinery will we need to make cheese? like i said before we already have a building that is set up to be a cheese making facility we just need to know what sort of internal machinery we will need? Also any advice in starting a business in the AG. realm would be great as well. We will be applying for multiple Grants to purchase the machinery and items needed to run the business. Thank you, Kyle Robeson

Deschutes County Oregon entrepreneurship dairy production

Hi Kyle,
I would recommend that you contact Robin Frojen with the Oregon State University Food Science and Technology department (541) 737-3131. Robin is the Food Pilot Plant and Creamery Manager. You can also email him directly at robin.frojen@oregonstate.edu.

Good luck with your endeavors and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.