Yellow Jackets inside of Tree

We just moved into a house and realized our neighbors outback are yellow jackets inside one of our trees. We can't see the nest itself but they have two entrances to their "lair". My question is do they actually destroy the tree they are in...weaken the integrity of it in anyway? I can probably avoid them...even though they go into defense mode when I mow the lawn...they have not stung anyone or thing yet. I just want to make sure they are not destroying the tree which is right next to the house and is already semi...getting to the point of needing to be removed.

Dauphin County Pennsylvania

Yellow jackets will reside in voids (so not digging or tunneling like the carpenter bee). They will use wood fiber to build their nest but collect this from weathered wood, not a live tree. Yellowjackets do not survive the winter as a group. The mated females fly off and overwinter in a protected space (leaf litter, compost pile, hollow log) and the rest die off.