Lake seaweed

I have a cottage on arrowhead lake Brackney PA. The seaweed growth has become unmanageable this year. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

Susquehanna County Pennsylvania pond and water gardens

There are a variety of control options for various lake plants or algae but the first critical step is to properly identify the plant or algae. Once it is identified, I can give you some ideas for control. Can you send me a few digital photos of what you are seeing in the lake?

Hi Bryan. Thanks so much for your quick response. I have included three photos. It was dusk so hope you get the idea. The one with the floating dock shows you part of the area where the weeds are growing up to the top of the water. It's at least 8 feet deep there. Then I have the "flower". And the length of the weed on the bench. bench.

The picture appears to show some long leaf pondweed (Potamogeton nodosus). It is a fairly common, native aquatic plant. There is some information on control of this plant from the Texas Extension website at: http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/management-options/american-pondweed/

Thanks for your response. It seems the easiest and safest way to remove weeds is with carp. Did I read that correctly? I don't think we have any carp in the lake but trying to find out. And if not maybe we could stock the lake? I do have a lake rake and use it but it is a Liam and doesn't work great. Thank you again.

Grass carp are an option but they require a permit in Pennsylvania and more detailed environmental study if they are being stocking in a lake larger than 5 acres so it might be a more lengthy process to get them approved for your lake. Herbicide treatments are the other main option for any pondweed species but that also would require a permit.

Bryan