Mushroom identification

Asked August 1, 2017, 7:20 PM EDT

What type of mushroom is this and is out edible?

Codington County South Dakota

1 Response

I cannot advise you on this mushroom. The following information should be heeded.

No mushroom should be eaten unless edibility is absolutely certain. Assume that all mushrooms are poisonous until proper identification is made. Even at that point, eat at your own risk!

  • Be sure of your identification. Eat only kinds known to be edible.
  • Do not eat mushrooms raw.
  • Eat only mushrooms in good condition.
  • Eat only one kind at a time. Do not eat large amounts.
  • Eat only a small amount the first time; even morels, generally considered to be excellent, may cause illness in some persons. If you do eat a mushroom you've picked, save a sample. In case you become ill, the sample can be used to determine if the mushroom caused your illness.
  • Don't experiment. There is an old saying, "There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters."
  • Obtain a copy of one or more books or publications on mushrooms and/or join a mushroom club.