My family owns a grain farm in NW OH that also has a 25-30 ac apple orchard...

My family owns a grain farm in NW OH that also has a 25-30 ac apple orchard on the premises. A neighboring fruit farmer with a large retail business farms the orchard, currently for a rental agreement based on a $/bushel amount. They would like to acquire more land to plant more trees and would like to enter into a long term land lease for some cropland (perhaps 2-3 ac/yr) on which to plant more trees. It is not cost effective for us to invest in the trees so a long term lease offering the lessor some security that they will recoup their planting costs is necessary (perhaps 20 yrs). I was wondering if there are any resources on how to structure such a contract and how to determine a rental rate especially in light of the fact that it may be several years before the land would actually produce income for the lessor?

Lucas County Ohio

Good morning! I apologize for the delay in response to your email question. I recently was assigned to your question and am working on gathering the information to provide to you. I will be sending you another email with links to additional resources that I hope that you find useful. I will be back in touch very soon. Amy