Tree issues

Asked July 31, 2017, 7:57 PM EDT

Two trees in our yard have lost their leaves from the top. Concerned there could be a disease that could affect other trees in the neighborhood. I would like to know if we should call an arborist to diagnose the problem and if it could be treated systemically. Suggestions needed on who to call and/or what we need to do. A neighbor wants to cut the dead out and maybe even remove the smaller tree. He won't go near the large tree because of wires.

Montgomery County Maryland

1 Response

We recommend you contact a certified arborist to conduct an on-site evaluation of the trees in question. Dieback at the top might indicate a problem at the roots, trunk, or under the bark (borers). Certified arborists have training recognized by the International Society of Arboriculture. They can evaluate the overall health of your trees and identify any diseases, pests, or other factors affecting tree growth. They will then make recommendations for corrective actions, if any are needed. You can find a certified arborist near you using the following link: