Odd looking bird

Hello. I live in Colden, NY.Can you tell me what this bird is? It's about 7" in   size but acted like a baby bird, was near my feeder with its mouth open, then   flew away. Has yellow eyes. In Erie County, not NY County.  Thank you,   Ralph

New York County New York wildlife

Hi Ralph,

You are correct, it is a juvenile bird. It is a fledgling Brown Thrasher. You can identify brown thrashers by their beautiful red-brown feathers, rather long tail, and yellow eyes. Additionally, thrashers have a unique bill (beak). The top of the bill sort of curves, hanging over the lower bill slightly. Adults are 9-11 inches, so it isn't surprising that a fledgling would be about 7".

It isn't unusual for fledglings to plop to the ground as they begin to fly. During this time the momma will still give the baby food. So, this little one was probably hoping it could be lazy and get fed while sitting on the ground. Momma, on the other hand, wasn't having it, and so the baby eventually flew away.

All the best,