Rose pest

Can you help me identify this and give some suggestions on how to treat it. This is the only leaf I found affected but that doesn't mean there aren't more. I am a novice rose gardener.

Lane County Oregon insect identification bmsb rose

Thank you for the excellent picture of newly hatched brown marmorated stink bugs, Halyomorpha halys. They are invasive insects which can feed on as many as 400 different kinds of plants, including vegetables and fruits in your garden. They also gather on the warm side of houses and other structures during fall and winter, when they are immensely annoying to everyone, particularly when they find their way indoors.

The easiest way to get rid of these is one of the following safe methods: Squish them where they are; remove the leaf and step on it; or remove the leaf and drop into soapy water.

Please continue looking for additional egg clusters and nymphs (youngster) and immediately deal with them as suggested above.

Naturally occurring biological agents -- very small flying insects -- have been found in the Portland-Vancouver area. People must get rid of BMSB until the insects take over.

See http://www.stopbmsb.org/where-is-bmsb/state-by-state/or/.

Thank you for your prompt answer. Now it makes sense as our detached garage gets invaded with these insects every year. They swarm for a couple of weeks and then they disappear. I wonder if spraying my roses with insecticidal soap or a weak dish washing detergent solution would help? This is the first time I have seen the eggs.

No.

Regular sprays of your rose won’t help decrease how many BMSB hang around your place in the fall and winter. They may lay eggs on many of the other plants in your garden and landscape. The most effective management is to get rid of the eggs and the new nymphs (hatchlings) as soon as you spot them.

Further, seeing the eggs at this time of year doesn’t guarantee that you’ll have an adult invasion later. BMSB seem very fickle (my choice of words) from year to year., in their preference for where they lay eggs; feed on plants; and hang out during the fall and winter.

Thank you.