High desert grassland restoration

I want to plant native grasses to hopefully compete with cheat grass. Articles regarding this emphasize weed suppression but don't give much detail other than herbicides which I'm hesitant to use. Do you have a reference for reseeding rangeland with specifics on weed suppression? Thanks

Deschutes County Oregon weed issues pastures and forages

Cheat grass is prevalent in the west because it is highly competitive and often out competes our native plants. Suppressing cheat grass before planting will be critical to the success of your restoration project. Burning and mowing are two alternatives to herbicides but may be difficult depending on your terrain and soil type. I do not know of any literature that has specifics on weed suppression alternatives to herbicides.

For the best chances of success, I would recommended talking to your local Extension Agent, Tim Deboodt - (541) 447-6228 and he can give you more advise specific to your area.

Thank you for the question and I hope you can find success in your project.