Evaluating tree health

My backyard has a lot of trees ( in Hillandale Forest area of M County) two of which are dead and need to be removed. My question is does the extension service have recommendations for an independent expert who would, for a fee, come and evaluate the health of the remaining trees to determine if they are in need of selective pruning or feeding or if they are in decline and would also need to be removed. I'm leary of using a tree removal co. to evaluate as I suspect they would suggest a lot removals or pruning that may be biased towards keeping their company busy as opposed to what's best for the trees. Any suggestions or referrals ? Thank you for your help.

Montgomery County Maryland trees and shrubs arborist trees

You should contact a certified arborist for an onsite evaluation of the trees. Certified arborists have training approved by the International Society of Arboriculture and have knowledge of tree health care including insects and diseases. You can search for one at the following link: http://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist

ckc

Thank you for the response - is there a usual fee or fee range I can expect to pay for the evaluation - is it by the hour or # of trees to be looked at?

It would be best if you called a couple companies in your area to ask about their rates. It can vary from company to company. Some will charge a fee to do an initial consultation, and then they will give you an estimate on how much it will cost to do work on each tree.

ckc