Retractable ladder-like structure in spider's web

Asked July 26, 2017, 8:05 PM EDT

I just found a spider's web with a spun structure in it that looked (and stretched out and back) like a tiny, retractable ladder. What the heck was it? Thanks! A.M. Thompson Washington, DC area

Montgomery County Maryland

3 Responses

The retractable ladder-like structure in a spider web is called a stabilimentum. These are often made by Argiope spiders. It is believed that these help attract prey by reflecting ultraviolet light.


THANK YOU so much! That is fascinating.

You're welcome. Thank you for the very interesting question!