groundhogs

what is the best practice to eliminate groundhogs in my backyard. they're beneath a sizable equipment shed. Coyote urine, borax and bleach repels them but they're back as soon as the odor wears off. Can I borrow/rent/buy Havahart wildlife traps and release the critters to a naturally-wooded area? In my years of work with the public in Farm Co-op sales dept I'd sold hundreds of these type traps to homeowners. I guess the crux of my inquiry assumes all safeguards and advisories are regarded as well as the animal's well-being but my daughter and grand daughter's hard work in their home vegetable garden has just gone down the drain. Are the traps still legal? PS they are NOT leg traps and do no harm to the animals being. Thanks.

Baltimore County Maryland wildlife

We recommend that you contact your city's public services or environmental department to see if they provide assistance with nuisance wildlife. Some cities will provide a trap and remove the animal. Different cities have different regulations and services available. Another good resource would be the Maryland Nuisance Wildlife Hotline. You can call and ask to find out what regulations and services are available for humane trapping in your area. Their number is 1-877-463-6497.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/Wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/wildlifeproblems.aspx

ckc