My goat has a horn growing into his head!

Hi there, I have a 2-year-old dwarf goat with a horn growing into his head. I live out on Sauvie Island. What is the best way to get this taken care of? Can the horn be trimmed or does it need to be removed? Thank you!

Multnomah County Oregon

I'm glad you asked. I've had this same thing happen with a pygmy goat. There are a couple options. The first would be to have a vet trim the horns which is a minimally invasive procedure. However, the overgrowth can come back if the horns are just trimmed. If you would like a more permanent solution, a vet can remove the horns all together to eliminate the risk of future unhealthy growth.

The Oregon State University Large Animal Hospital can do either procedure if you can transport the goat to Corvallis. Or you could find a local large animal vet. Below is a link for the OSU Large Animal Hospital webpage.
http://vetmed.oregonstate.edu/hospital/large-animal-hospital
Good luck with your goat! Let me know if you have any more questions.