Little Limelight Hydrangea issue

My little lime hydrangeas have been growing well for a couple years now, flowers were big and beautiful, but this year the buds were messed up, curled, and just weird looking. The foliage looks fine, it's just the tips near the buds are all curled up and sickly looking. Also, I have a row of 5 little limes on the south side of my home (the 3 sick looking ones are on the west side) and their blooms are fine. Just wondering if you all could help me identify what's going on. Thanks.

Madison County Kentucky hydrangea madison county kentucky horticulture

The bloom damage is similar to what would be expected following a nearby application of a growth regulator herbicide such as 2,4-D. Growth regulators have been known to cause damage following a drift (small droplets blow in the wind) or volatilization incident. Chilling,(just above freezing but cold with a low dew point) damage to buds, flower and leaf, sometimes causes a similar symptom..