Black raspberries

I planted 2 black raspberry plants which are growing very rapidly. Would it hurt to prune the tips, or should I just let them grow, since this is their first year?

Deschutes County Oregon

Thank you for your black raspberry pruning question. I have attached a link to an OSU Extension publication that you may find helpful to address your question. The article provides a checklist for establishing and caring for your raspberry plant during the first year on page 7. Pruning is reviewed on pages 7-8. Topping the primocanes 3-4 inches during the late spring and early summer is advised and will help to increase lateral branching.

Publication: “Growing raspberries in your home garden”:

https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/ec1306.pdf

We welcome your home garden questions at the OSU Master Gardener plant clinic. If you need additional information, please call and talk with the Master Gardener on duty at 541-548-6088. You can also submit questions with photos to the Master Gardener Plant Clinic email: deschutesmg@oregonstate.edu.