Fruit pie fillings

I have recipes for pie fillings from my mother. They mention "instant clear-jel" and Clear-jel A. Is there a difference? I only see one kind of clear-jel on the market. Are there still two different kinds?

Columbia County Oregon home food preservation food preparation

Hello and thank you for submitting your question to Ask an Expert, a FREE service of Oregon State University Extension.

Our Fruit Pie Fillings publication indicates that regular Clear Jel should be used, NOT instant. You can find that publication here: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/sites/default/files/documents/sp_50_616_fruitpiefillings.pdf

Compare your family recipe with those on the publication above to make sure the processing times you are using are up to date. Clear Jel is the only thickening agent that is recommended for canning pie fillings. It can be difficult to find. Restaurant supply stores, cake decorating shops or small bakeries may carry it, and you can get it online.

Good Luck!