Honey Fungus

I have a rose of sheron in my front lawn with Armillaria growing out of the base that has been slowly killing it for about 4 years. I have an ornamental fruit tree about 20 feet away and other bushes farther away. What should I do? Can I drill holes in it and insert something that will kill the roots?

Jefferson County Kentucky weed issues rose of sharon

Physically remove the Rose of sharon, including as much of the stump and root system as possible. Drilling holes, applying a systemic herbicide and waiting for the stump to decay could take years.

I assume you are concerned that your other woody plants could also be affected. Healthy trees do not succumb to fungal infections easily. If they are severely stressed or have been incorrectly pruned there is a low probability of these other woody ornamentals becoming infected. Removal of the Rose of Sharon would ease your mind as well as make room in your landscape for other plants.

Feel free to contact our office if you have other questions.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Carol Wilder
Horticulture Technician
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service
502-569-2344
200 Juneau Drive
Louisville KY 40243