What kind of bush is this?

I want to prune these bushes. Could you please tell me what they are and the best way/time to prune them?

Ramsey County Minnesota

The plants in the photo are spreading yews. If severe pruning is needed, do it in early spring. Otherwise, follow these recommendations from the Morton Arboretum.

"Yews range from spreading ground covers to various-sized trees and shrubs. Yews are slow-growing, long-lived plants, which produce two flushes of growth per year. New growth will develop on old wood, making yews very tolerant of heavy pruning or shearing.

• To maintain size, prune in late winter or early spring, before new growth begins. Prune again in mid-June.
  • Annual shearing should be done after new growth has expanded. Follow-up shearing should continue throughout the growing season. To avoid stimulating new growth late in the season (thus preventing winter injury), do not shear yews after August."