free seminar schedule and winter gardening

Hi, Please let me know when your fall free seminar schedule will be available and how to find it.. I purchased a hip high raised garden this spring. I'm interested in learning what to do to it to extend the growing season or if possible do something to it so I can grow cold weather veges in the winter. Is there something I could do that is inexpensive and easy to create that would work or do you recommend purchasing something and if so what? Do I need to add anything to the soil for the winter. My raised garden has a lattice type compost box in the middle that I have been using. Thanks! Rose

Frederick County Maryland

For the fall seminar schedule, we recommend that you contact the Frederick County Extension Master Gardener Coordinator, Susan Trice. Her phone number is (301) 600-1596 and her email is strice@umd.edu.

For winter gardening, a great resource is Eliot Coleman's book, Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables From Your Home Garden All Year Long. You can probably find this book at a local library. It covers season extension by using cold frames and other protective structures. It also covers soil preparation and the types of crops that do best for cold weather gardening.

ckc