Honeycrisp tree with bi-color new growth leaves

I have two Honeycrisp trees in my yard. One appears to be growing just fine with new growth on the tree. The other tree has bi-color only on the new growth leaves and the tree is not has stopped producing new growth. Can you tell me what is wrong with this tree and if I can resolve the problem this year. I have attached pictures.

Minnesota storm damage honeycrisp apple

Hello and thank you for contacting AaE for help

This is called Honeycrisp leaf mottle disorder. There is no action required for this. Here is the publication: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/fruit/apple/leavesyellow.html

Thanks for the help. I have one other questions regarding all my apple trees. I have a couple of trees that are approaching 14 feet tall. Is there a way of controlling the height of these trees. Can I cut the central leader to stop the tree from getting any taller? What is the best approach to limiting a apple tree's height?

Hello again.

It can be complicated but you can reclaim your older tree through a pruning regimen first by pruning the leader of a tree. That will encourage the tree to grow an adjacent branch into a new leader. Here is a Penn State University Extension web PDF that contains a section on rejuvenating older Apple trees. It's a large publication but the section I'm referring to starts on page 61. Make sure you heed the warning to remove no more than 1/3 of the tree each year but the University of Minnesota actually advises no more than 1/4 per year so it may take a few years.

You may also want to think about hiring an experienced tree care professional to do the pruning - especially if the trees are tall enough to require ladders. They can safely prune and remove the debris for you.

Good-luck!

Hi once more,
I have several apple trees in my yard. This particular one is a Snow Sweet. About a week ago, we had a thunderstorm with 60 mph winds. The branch, in the pictures broke as seen. How do I deal with this issue, wait for early spring? Lob off the branch below the break, etc? Any suggestions?

Thanks, greg

Cut off the broken branch that is torn away now. You can consider what to do with the branch from which it was torn and its wound next winter. Read here:
http://static.colostate.edu/client-files/csfs/pdfs/FINAL_Storm_Damage_Quick_Guide.pdf

Also, in the future, please put new questions in separate posts. That way when people search they can find an appropriate post.