My linden tree died this year...approx 10 years old. Why?

I planted a number 10 Linden about 10 years ago in a semi-wet area. It did fine except this year it died. I live on a farm in west Henn Co. I ASSUMED It was due to the extremely wet spring it had, perhaps it got too saturated and couldn't recover. Any other possibilities? Without digging it up,is there a way to determine what happened? Sad to loose a mature tree especially since it marks our pet cemetery. Will need to replace it sadly.

Hennepin County Minnesota dead tree linden tree horticulture

Without actually seeing the tree there is no way we can make a diagnosis. However, while lindens are tolerant of a wide range of soils, it needs well drained soil with ample moisture. It is highly possible the roots rotted. You can find out for sure when you dig the tree up. Roots will be mushy. Or you can have a certified arborist make an on-site visit to make the diagnosis. You can find one by visiting this web site and clicking on Find An Arborist: http://www.treesaregood.org/