Grape vines - no fruit, just an invasive problem

Ever since we bought our Lake-Lyndale house (30 years ago), we have had grape vines (never any grapes) growing mainly along our property's border. They had even grown into two large trees which have been cut down (one supposedly only partially due to the vines). More important, the vines have tried demonically hard (slight exaggeration maybe) to cause damage to our home's siding, our front porch and our fencing. We/I have tried to cut them down to ground level and it doesn't seem to help - they probably think it's more helpful than harmful. Most seem to grow very close to the home's foundation. Now a recent widow without family, and at my age (70-years young) and with back problems due to recent back surgery, I can't do anything too aggressive. Sorry about the sad, sob story, but I just wanted to let you know about my capabilities. Is there anything I can do? A herbicide? A secret ceremony performed by a full moon? There are no children nor pets anywhere near the vines. There's got to be something to do to undo Mother Nature's wicked sense of humor. Thank you for your help and advice. Jeannie Smith 2900 block of Grand Ave S smith@blueottermn.com

Hennepin County Minnesota

It sounds like a problem my friend and fellow Master Gardener is having. She has identified hers as the Riverbank Grape, a wild grape, and she too has never seen grapes on her plants. She just keeps cutting them down because they are too close to desirable plants to use an herbicide.

Here is a website about these wild grapes, so you can see if this is the grape vine you also have:
http://www.friendsofthewildflowergarden.org/pages/plants/wildgrape.html

Penn State Extension has a publication on wild grapes, which offers advice on how to get rid of them: http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/forests/private/tools-resources/publications/invasive-pla...
I hope this helps and I hope you have a nice neighbor to help you cut down the vine.