Light green sparse white pines. Need arborist

Our tall white pines in the backyard look like they need nutrients. They have light needles and are sparse. There were three of them and one died suddenly two years ago. After researching online it seems they may need iron treatment. Can you give me contact info for someone that can come out and diagnose and then treat them?

Kentucky arborist white pine

White pines can respond to nutrient deficiencies, pH problems and watering issues by appearing lighter in color. A Kentucky Certified Arborist can come on site and evaluate the two remaining pines. Call our office at 502-569-2344 and we will be glad to give you a list of Kentucky Certified Arborists in the Jefferson County area. The list is provided by the Kentucky Arborist Association and is not intended as an endorsement of any specific arborist.

White pines can also have problems with too much water, compacted clay soils and pH. When several white pines are planted relatively close together, there comes a time that they will compete for space, sunlight, water, and nutrients. It can be difficult to find the exact reason one of them may fail. I would start with a soil test to find out pH and nutrients available at the site. We do soil testing and details for sampling can be found on our website here: https://jefferson.ca.uky.edu/content/soil-tests

Feel free to contact our office if you have other questions.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Carol Wilder
Horticulture Technician
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service
502-569-2344
200 Juneau Drive
Louisville KY 40243