Hi, I want to try making an herbal vinegar. I seem to have hit the Dill...

Hi, I want to try making an herbal vinegar. I seem to have hit the Dill jackpot this year. How long to the vinegars last? I plan on sterilizing my canning jars and them adding the ingredients. Yes, I do have a recipe and it calls for apple cider vinegar.

Delaware County Ohio

I apologize for the delay in addressing your question - I have been out of the office assisting at our county's 4-H camp.

The National Center for Home Food Preservation has an excellent resource on making herb vinegars. It can be found at http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/uga_flavored_vinegars.pdf. It discusses preparation of your herbs, selection of vinegar, and steps for safely preparing and processing your herb vinegar.

In short, to answer your question, if an herb vinegar is properly prepared, bottled, and stored in a cool, dry place, it will keep for approximately 3 months.

If you have any further questions or would like a print version of the resource I referred to, please feel free to contact me at kendle.4@osu.edu or 330-339-2337.

Take care,
Chris Kendle