Stickers

On our property in South Park, we have two species of plants that form seeds that are small burrs or stickers. These are small forbs, and not grass species, could be perennial but I am guessing annuals. The seeds are a bit sticky and have hooks like cockleburrs, but are much smaller (about 1 to 2 mm). The flowers on both are small (about 2 or 3 mm) and blue. They get caught in our dog's fur and our socks. Our questions are: are these native? Are they a noxious weed? Any reason we can't remove them all?

Park County Colorado

Hi- Without a picture or better description, I'm guessing that you may have Common Burdock, which is in the Sunflower family. It is a native of Europe and is now established throughout North America It is a perennial broadleaf weed that has purple flower that has a seed/fruit that is a "barbed" ball that often gets stuck in animals and gave rise to the idea for Velcro.

Use a good broadleaf weed killer. I'd recommend Milestone, which is expensive, $180/quart (yes, that's correct) and you may have to order from your local hardware store, but it is unrestricted, which means you can use it if you follow the label instructions. Milestone is very effective and use is usually a couple of teaspoons in several gallons of water. PLEASE FOLLOW ALL LABEL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. DO NOT LET ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18 SPRAY THIS HERBICIDE.

It is a Class C Noxious Weed, so there are two classes of weeds more "obnoxious" than this one:-)

I would also recommend using a hoe and cutting the weed off and then applying the herbicide. That will be most effective.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of further help.

They are a weed, not considered

Sorry; should have been more specific. It's definitely not in the sunflower family. Small, blue (not purple), single, flowers, 4 or 5 petals. I'll get some pictures this weekend and send them.

Thanks!

Attached are 4 pictures, 2 from each species. As you can see, they are not in the Asteraceae. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi- My experts say this is "stickweed" or Lappula redowskii.

You need to use Garlon (triclopyr) to eradicate.

Hope this helps.

Thanks much! There were two different plants in the pictures, though they are somewhat similar, at least in burr like seed. Any chance you can tell what the other one is?

Hi- These are all stickweed, just a different genius of the species.

Treatment is the same.

Good luck.