What is this?

I have this plant that grows on the ground like a vine, it roots everywhere and continues to spread, how do I eradicate this neusance?

Warren County Pennsylvania

Hello, and thanks for using the Ask an Expert System,

The plant in your photo looks like Creeping Charlie, a fairly common exotic weed. I am providing a link to a bulletin from The University of Wisconsin Extension. This bulletin will help you identify the weed in your yard and describes some control strategies for controlling Creeping Charlie. To access the bulletin [click here.]

Warren County Penn State Extension:
Address: 100 Dillon Drive, Suite 101Youngsville, PA 16371
Phone: 814-563-9388
E-mail: WarrenExt@psu.ed
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Thank you for responding to my question. I read the article about creeping Charlie but I don't think that is my plant. The article says the plant has purple flowers in spring. But have never noticed this flower. Is there another plant that looks like creeping Charlie?

Hello again, and thanks for using the Ask an Expert System,

It is difficult to be certain of the identity of this plant from your photo. I still think it is Creeping Charlie or ground ivy (two common names for Glechoma hederacea. There are some similar plants and you might find this link Three (easily mixed up) early spring plants helpful. Just remember that there can be a number of different varieties of the same weed, and you may have missed the flowers.

In any case the control measures listed in the previous answer should work on most broad-leafed lawn weeds.